The Client is an Austin, TX-based company that provides managed cloud solutions tailored for the security, middleware, and database needs of enterprise customers. The Client primarily targets organizations operating in industries with complex regulatory and compliance requirements.
The Client, an Austin, TX-based managed cloud services provider and tech consulting firm with Fortune Global 500 customers in a number of countries worldwide, wanted to expand its market presence much closer to home with an intensified push for increased market share in over a dozen U.S. states.
With the help of its newly launched ABM program, the company has already made some progress toward this planned expansion. Their ABM effort has so far added 97 candidate strategic accounts into their pipeline after a full year of implementation. The Client, however, understood they need to scale this up in order to make their funnel numbers work. They aimed to apply a tiered approach at selecting accounts during the program’s second year.
Under their tier-based ABM strategy, the company segments accounts into two main tiers according to how potential companies match the target customer profile:
- Tier 1 Accounts: Best-fit companies requiring hyper-targeted, market-of-one engagement
- Tier 2 Accounts: The rest of their target accounts that still require targeted and personalized messaging but not a market-of-one approach; consists of two further sub-segments based on industry group
In order for their internal team to exclusively focus their time and resources on selling to Tier 1 accounts, the Client planned to let a B2B marketing service provider handle the top-of-funnel activities for the Tier 2 segment.
The company set three main goals that their partner marketing agency should help them achieve:
- Increase the quantity and quality of target accounts in all Tier 2 sub-segments
- Navigate each target account’s org chart to identify all relevant decision makers
- Initiate contact and set the stage for the Client’s reps to convert and close promising prospects
The Callbox Solution
The Client chose Callbox after being referred by one of their top customers, which also happened to be a long-time Callbox partner.
Since the Client wanted Callbox to target the two sub-segments under their Tier 2 account category, a separate three-month account-based appointment setting campaign was planned for each sub-segment.
Account Research and Selection
- The first campaign targeted manufacturing and distribution companies with enterprise compute workloads that were already running or in need of being migrated to the Cloud.
- The second campaign reached out to financial services and insurance firms that needed all workloads to be transferred to the Cloud.
- Both campaigns covered 13 U.S. states and only included companies with at least $50 million in annual revenues. The Client also provided criteria for excluding and further filtering out companies from the target account list.
Account and Prospect Profiling
The two campaigns targeted three main buyer groups in each account: influencers (CEOs and Managing Directors), technical buyers (CIOs and CTOs), and economic buyers (CFOs).
- The Client provided additional information on past deals to help refine the target buyer profiles under each decision-maker group.
- Each entry in the account and prospect lists was thoroughly checked by a database QA team and had to be approved by the Client before being used in the two campaigns.
Multi-touch, Multi-channel Outreach
- Both campaigns followed a unique lead nurture path and personalized messaging strategy for each of the three decision-maker groups.
- A data-driven outreach cadence that combined phone, email, and LinkedIn touches was developed and executed for each lead nurture path.
- Pipeline, Callbox’s own CRM and marketing automation tool, served as the main hub of the two campaigns, where activities were orchestrated and the project was managed.
In total, the two campaigns handed off 86 qualified appointments (sales-qualified leads) to the Client’s reps. This figure almost doubles what the Client’s own team can produce in a similar period.
Each of the two campaigns was completed in a three-month interval, for a total of six months of account-based appointment setting activities.
Both campaigns showed very effective use of outreach channels and touches, with the following highlights:
- Phone: 2,798 conversations with decision makers
- Email: 32% open rate, 9% CTR, 3.7% reply rates
- LinkedIn: 67% InMail reply rate, 112 new connections
The consolidated ABM results for the two campaigns include:
- Accounts touched: 4,993
- Average touches per account: 10.1
- Average contacts per account: 4.0
In total, the two campaigns handed off 86 qualified appointments (sales-qualified leads) to the Client’s reps. This figure almost doubles what the Client’s own team can produce in a similar period. Additionally, the two campaigns have also generated a total of 144 marketing-qualified leads (completed leads, requests for information, and follow-ups).
These results suitably exceeded the Client’s expectations. This is why the Client has expressed interest in tapping Callbox to handle its future ABM outreach campaigns.