Observing proper business etiquette is important, that is a fact. Unfortunately, this is one detail that a lot of marketers tend to overlook. While we may have the technical skill or know-how in generating qualified sales leads, not knowing or forgetting about basic business etiquette can ruin our lead generation campaign. With our world being more globalized, we should be more aware of the different nuances in our words and actions that could be misunderstood by our prospective B2B leads. These may be slight, but these can mean a big deal to the other party. So, what are these cases where etiquette is important?
- First of all, there is punctuality. There is no such thing as being fashionably late, especially in business. Either you are on time, or you are late. Period. People put great importance in their time, and they are put off by those they perceive as time-wasters. If you want their business, make sure you are punctual.
- Another aspect in etiquette has a lot to do with business cards. Remember, a business card is an extension of yourself. You should put it out with respect and receive the business card of others with the same treatment. Do not put it away casually. That speaks a lot to your appointment setting prospects.
- Planning well is also another practice that you should never take lightly, especially if telemarketing is involved. You would want to know more about your prospects, so that come business talk time, you will not be caught unaware with a question, or be stumped with a problem that you did not expect to appear.
- Next is engaging in small talk. Normally, we go straight to the point, but that is not necessarily the case with lead generation. We want to nurture a relationship first, so we make it a point to talk with them, inquire about their daily lives, as well as other topics that can build rapport with them.
- Another is food preferences and taboos. In Middle Eastern countries, pork is generally shunned because of religious rules. You need to be sure that in the event of a business lunch, you do not offend anyone with what you eat. These taboos can vary country-to-country, so you had better do some research first.
- Even a simple handshake can create different meanings.In western countries, the way one grasps the hand, the duration, the pressure, even the gender of the one offering the hand first, can have a lot of meaning. Other countries, especially in the Far East, simply see this as a polite greeting, if ever done.
There are a lot of other etiquette rules that you have to remember when dealing with business prospects. Still, these vary according to the places that you go. What is important is that you are aware of these, make the necessary adjustments, and accommodate your actions to fit what is demanded. In this way, you can protect your lead generation campaign better. There is nothing for you to lose if you just do it.